I went market to buy vegetables. I bought few vegetables and as I saw cabbage the term cruciferous ran in my mind as usual. But didn't buy it as it's rare vegetable used in my home . What is this cruciferous vegetable ? Why eating it is very important ?
Cruciferous vegetables are the members of cruciferous family or cabbage family. Plants belonging to this family have flowers with four equal sized petals and hence the name cruciferous .
What does cruciferous vegetables contain and its benefits :
- Cruciferous vegetable contain phytonutrients and sulforaphane which are plant based compounds that helps to reduce inflammation and reduce the risk of cancer especially lung, colorectal , prostate, breast cancer.
- Cruciferous vegetable helps in detoxification ( removes toxins from our body).
- Vitamin A,B,C and folic acid.
- Minerals like magnesium and potassium.
- Fiber which is good for intestinal health.
- Because of its anti inflammatory properties it reduces any inflammation in arterial lining thus reducing heart diseases.
- Helps in weight loss .
- It's also a rich source of antioxidants .
Alot of benefits .. Isn't it ?
List of cruciferous vegetables :
1. Eating alot of cruciferous vegetables may cause gas . Therefore , people who has gastritis should eat in moderation. But do not avoid eating owing to its benefits.
2. It is found that cruciferous vegetables may interact with thyroxine production . Therefore , people with thyroxine deficiency should take the advice of doctor.
In this blog, we saw a whole lot of benefits of cruciferous vegetables. Few of which , I was also not aware. I use to use cauliflower, turnips and radish but not cabbage but after writing this blog I have decided to include even cabbage. What about u? Write in your valuable feed back.